Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott


I've always been a big fan of Louisa May Alcott. "Little Women" and "Jo's Boys" are two of my all time favorite books. "Eight Cousins" is not quite as wonderful as those great books, but is a very sweet story. It's the story of a young girl who has been orphaned and sent to live with one of her uncles. Her uncle has some ideas that are very different from how girls were typically raised in that era, which provides an interesting look at fashion, society and history of the period. It is especially fun to read about the main character, Rose, and her encounters with her 7 boy cousins. This book is definitely G rated, and I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Krista Lou Cook said...

Wow, thanks for posting this. I tend to forget that she wrote other books besides Little Women.

Becky said...

We are big Alcott fans here...

My daughters really enjoyed "An Old-Fashioned Girl" also. :)