Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Girl Who Could Fly, by Victoria Forester

 Can I just say that this is an absolutely delightful, fun, heartwarming read.  I've been reading it to my boys and we just finished last night.  We all loved it!  It tells the story of Piper McCloud who, as you can tell from the title, has a special ability.  A cute, happy, friendly, 9 year old girl from the country -- you can't help but fall in love with her.  Piper's courage & spirit will blow you away.  Despite some incredible challenges she continues to inspire & lift the hearts of all around her.  Including the reader.  I love the following review by Stephenie Meyer - I think she sums it up perfectly:


"It's the oddest/sweetest mix of Little House on the Prairie and X-Men.  I was smiling the whole time (except for the part where I cried).  Prepare to have your heart warmed."

For me:
smile - check! :)
tears - check.  (happy cry, sad cry, relieved cry).  I think the act of reading it outloud had a greater pull on my emotions.
heart warmed - most definitely

If you're considering reading it to your children I'll tell you that my 8 year old really enjoyed it and hung on my every word.  The 6 year old, well, it was a bit above him.  He had a difficult time sitting still & listening.

I highly recommend it for personal reading as well.  Five stars!

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

I'm in need of a good light hearted read. Thanks for the recommendation!

Autumn said...

I am going to order this right away! We were just trying to line up our summer reads. Thanks!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I keep reading the most wonderful things about this book.