I began this book with hesitancy (angry at myself for reading the jacket) knowing that a married woman would somehow get involved with an actor - also married. As I read more, I was sceptical, and as they became best friends, worried as to where this may lead. (Any married woman knows that it is very dangerous ground to have a male friend/confidant.) I was a little upset that it was making it all seem okay, but I kept reading.
I am so glad I kept reading, because the story was a journey of love and friendship, of which I was so happy to take a ride on. Becky, the main character, a Mormon housewife living in Utah, meets Felix - a heartthrob actor, and they find they feel like long lost siblings, and become best friends.
While their friendship throughout the story was a string that held it all together, my favorite part of the book was Becky's relationship with her husband Mike and her four children. Shannon Hale did such a wonderful job of portraying this regular woman and her life and love for her family. (I also felt like she did a fantastic job of portraying LDS culture and beliefs in a favorable way, especially since it is a main stream fiction book, and not an LDS novel.)
I laughed, I cried - HARD, and I left the book feeling better about myself as a mother/wife and wanting to be better at the same time. So glad I didn't stop reading.
I give it 5 stars and a PG rating.





0 comments:
Post a Comment