*****An Absolutley True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. A novel by Sherman Alexie.
Art by Ellen Forney.
Review from R. Kyle Amazon.
Arnold "Junior" Spirit didn't start out committed to excellence--he was barely surviving. Born hydrocephalic (water on the brain) on the Spokane reservation at Wellpinit, WA, which he describes as: "one million miles North of Important and two billion miles west of Happy." His father was an alcoholic, his older sister had locked herself away in the basement of their home after graduating high school--and he was just trying to survive the taunts of the other kids who called him 'Globe' or 'Orbit' due to the size of his head.
Arnold "Junior" Spirit didn't start out committed to excellence--he was barely surviving. Born hydrocephalic (water on the brain) on the Spokane reservation at Wellpinit, WA, which he describes as: "one million miles North of Important and two billion miles west of Happy." His father was an alcoholic, his older sister had locked herself away in the basement of their home after graduating high school--and he was just trying to survive the taunts of the other kids who called him 'Globe' or 'Orbit' due to the size of his head.
"Diary" focuses on Arnold's Freshman year at Beardan High. Nine months sees him making new friends and losing old ones as the folks on the rez ostracize him and call him 'Apple' (red on the outside, white on the inside). Arnold also loses his Grandmother, older sister, and father's best friend, Eugene--all to drinking of some kind. He gains the respect of the Beardan kids and realizes that despite being dirt poor, there are some community advantages to living on the rez.
Alexie is one of the best writers in the contemporary scene. He's got a sense of humor and timing that will have you laughing at the most surprising events. If good writing is measured by one quotable line per page, Alexie's achieved excellence.
(I will be reading this book along with you this month.)




5 comments:
I loved this book! I read it after my husband read it in one night. I think we have a special understanding of it, growing up on (my husband) and near (me) Indian reservations. It is a sad and true tale, but so funny too!
I cannot wait to read this one...right after I finish last months book!!
I totally loved this book! He is a really fabulous writer , sucking you right into the story so much you can hardly put it down.
I read it in like 2 days and that is amazing with my schedule these days! I LOVED it! Hilarious...had me laughing from the very beginning! I'm with Aundrea..I don't know if it's where we grew up but I loved every minute of this book! Thanks for the recommendation!
I read it and enjoyed it a lot but I think you who grew up around there have a great appreciation for it!
Post a Comment