Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute


I had heard great things about this book, and was not at all disappointed. Told from the prospective of an elderly lawyer who has trust over the inheritance of a young woman in England. The more you get to know Jean, the more remarkable she becomes. As she tells her story of how she survived a Japanese death march during WW II, you can't help but be drawn in.

The second half of the book almost seems like a second book in itself, full of romance and life in the Australian outback. Although I liked this part of the story, the first half of the book was my favorite, and it lost a little bit in the end. It was still wonderful though :).
I give it 4.5 stars and a PG-13 rating (for the war violence)

0 comments: