Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mary Poppins, by P. L. Travers


I read this book aloud to my daughter, and she really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next book in the series. Sometimes the language was tricky for her, but I think it was a great opportunity to learn. This is one of my mother's favorite childhood books, and so I had been intrigued by it for a long time.

Very different from the movie version, but still wonderful, Mary Poppins is a quirky and magical nanny that comes into the lives of Jane and Michael Banks, along with their younger siblings, the twins. The adventures are fun and different, and very creative. Mary is a little more harsh than she is in the movie, but that is probably because she doesn't break out into song like Julie Andrews :).
I give it 4 stars and a G rating

0 comments: