Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quiet Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian- by Scott Douglas


"Quiet Please" is a very interesting inside look at life in a library. It's a memoir of sorts by Scott Douglas, who is a librarian in California. He provides a humorous and sometimes touching look at the crazy librarians he works with and the patrons who frequent the library. I laughed out loud at some of his encounters with his eccentric patrons (like when he got shoved by a pushy elderly lady), and felt sadness with him for the circumstances of others(mainly the homeless) who look to the library as a place of refuge. I would have to give this book a PG13 rating because he does recount some of the bad language used by others in the library, and also his section on dealing with people looking at internet porn in the library. I would give this book 4 1/2 stars. As a side note for local friends- they have this at our local library (or they will as soon as I remember to return it.)

0 comments: