Sunday, May 4, 2008

Book of the Month

Sista's we have decided to do a book of the month! We are hoping this brings some real discussion to the board. We are really excited and hope you all try to join us! At the beginning of each month a post will be made, and added to the side bar so it is available all month with out having to scroll for it. Click on the link and it will automatically take you to the post and the comments for the months books! We will email you when it is your month, We will give you a few weeks notice.

SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS
The book for May 2008 is Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Lets have a true discussion about it, is it good writing, how you did or did not connect with the book? Click on the link and leave comments, if you've already read it then great your ahead of the game, but still leave your thoughts!

13 comments:

Rochelle said...

I will start, I love the entire series. I felt like these girls went through some very real experiences of teenage years and formed a sisterhood that helped them through some tough times and tough decisions. I loved that the girls could have different opinions and share them with there friends and wanted to see them do the best thing for them. I thought the books brought you back to those years and those feelings. I really enjoyed the difference in each character. I think the author did an excellent job connecting with the audience she was after.
The second movie comes out soon and I am soo excited!

Jodi Jo said...

I too really enjoyed the entire series. It was an easy read that kept me involved. The book took the girls through real experiences that I could relate to. The author did very well at describing feelings and situations. I am jealous of the strong bond that these girls had - I wish that I had high school friends like that. They supported each other through thick and thin. A series of books that I would recommend.
I am also excited to see the new movie!

Casey said...

I read this book last year, actually the whole series. I fell in love with all the characters, it was a book that was so easy to relate too.
I didn't know they were actually making a second movie! that's exciting, I can't wait

Unknown said...

I read this book along time ago, I think maybe a couple of years ago? Maybe I should reread it to refresh my memory, but anyway I loved this book. This book was easy to relate to. It was really fun to read. I loved that the girls where different and still had a great friendship. I am glad to hear that a second movie is coming out.

Blackberry Bratt said...

Well, I'm here to cause a disturbance I guess because I didn't like it. I think it is likely due to the fact that I watched the movie first and loved the movie. I feel like the movie was so much better at portraying the experiences the girls were going through. I plan on using this movie as a visual way to express why waiting to have sexual relations until you are married is so important to a young person's esteem of self and happiness.

Because I was so impressed with the movie, I found the books and made myself read the first, tried the second and decided it wasn't worth it. I would have to read the first book again to really nail down what was so disturbing to me though.

Kelli said...

I enjoyed the first book alot if I remember correctly (I read it when the first movie came out) I agree with Rochelle that the girls had very real experinces. I also loved that they were so close. Most people write girls as being catty during the teenage years. I love that they showed that some girls are not that way. I need to read the rest of the series before the movie comes out, but I liked the first book way more than the movie!

Rochelle said...

I also think the movie portrayed a great example of regret and disappointment about her choices and the turmoil one really goes through. So I can completely understand your feelings Blackberry Bratt!

Krista Lou Cook said...

I only have the last book left of the series to read(a great idea fo this week!)I also have grown to love the characters. I love thier individaulity and how they love each other no matter what. I believe this series is a great one for young teens to read. It covers alot of basics that they are dealing with. First love, divorce, remarriage, younger "surprise" siblings, long distance love, sexual relations,death, how to be a friend, ect, ect!

Michelle said...

I had seen the movie some time ago and really liked it, so I was reluctant to read the book. Usually I like one or the other, not both. This time I found I liked both, for different reasons. This book reminded me a lot of what it was like to be young and to make mistakes and not know what to do. A good and easy read.

Autumn said...

I just finished this book last night. I thought this was an incredibly easy read (which I love). I loved the sisterhood that the girls formed. I can relate a little, as I have had friends in my life that I feel this way about! The magic of the pants intrigued me! I thought the author did a great job of describing each character...I totally felt like I knew each of their personalities by the end of the book. I look forward to reading the rest of the series!

Toshia said...

I just finished reading this book. I enjoyed the book and it was an easy read as others have said, but I think there are several layers you can sift through. I could probably discuss each character for some time each, but I won't here. My favorite part of the book is the fact that these girls are so different from each other, but they love each other regardless/because of those differences. They have always known summers together and now must go out there and experience life alone, but still try to stay true to who they think they are or to become who they want to be. The pants to me represent a reminder to each of them who they are, but more importantly the strength that they gain from their realtionships with each other. I can't help but think of a child who can do anything with her blankie in tow, but "falls apart" when without it. The pants were "magical" not because of what they could do, but because of what each individual girl believed the pants could do/give them. The girls had to learn to experience life drawing on memories of others strenths, and finding those/developing those strengths within herself.
Although at times the stories flow seemed disjointed, overall I thought this book was well written and I loved the various storylines. I can see parts of myself in each of these 4 girls. (Sorry such a long comment :)

Natelli Johnston said...

This book is full of smut and I could not believe that they were all eaten by a bear. I am totally joking, I really liked the book and just started the second one. My favorite character is Lena, but I can relate with the rebelious free spirit of Bridget.

Rochelle said...

Thanks for the Laugh Natelli!