Saturday, May 31, 2008

Raven's Shadow by Patricia Briggs


OK, this is my first post, mainly because I have to actually put down the book(s) that I am reading in order to actually write about them which is hard because I usually just want to go on to the next one... But, since I'm on my computer, I thought I would actually try to give you all a cool book to check out. I read this book because I had read some of the author's newer books and thought hey, maybe I'll see if these are any good. I have to say I was pretty impressed. This book is in the sci-fi/fantasy, but I'd say it's firmly in the fantasy section.

Let's see...The story is set in a middle-aged world with magic that is mistrusted by those who don't have it. It's mainly about a woman, named Seraph, who is a mage of a special order called Raven. She and her ancestors have made it their duty to save those in need from things that go bump in the night or have been Shadow-tainted; they are called, the Travelers. Non-magical people, or as the Traveler's call them, Solsenti, hate and fear them even though their only job is to help them. Seraph finds herself alone, when her brother, the last in her clan of Travelers, is killed by Solsenti townspeople, who are minutes from attacking her. She is rescued by a Solsenti man named Tier, who has happened upon the inn on his way home. After saving her, they travel to his home town where he convinces her to stay with him and raise a family. Twenty years pass with no problems, until the day when Seraph receives news that her husband, Tier has been killed by Shadow-taint. Seraph and her 2 oldest children (for, they too, have been blessed/cursed with orders of the Travelers) decide to investigate and get caught up in something bigger and more dangerous than they have ever come across...

Anyway, the characters in the book are great. I liked Seraph and Tier because they were their love seemed sweet and gentle. I also liked their children and some of the other characters because they were funny at times. I think I liked the Guardian the most because of his dual nature.

I hope I haven't given too much away, like I said, I'm much better at reading them then writing about them. So, if you like fantasy, and your looking for a good book to read, I definitely think you would enjoy this one.

OK, now let's see, I think I would give this a 4 out of 5 stars rating, mainly because I can't put it in the "oh my gosh this book was soo good I couldn't put it down and didn't eat or sleep and my kids were taken from me and put in foster care and I lost my job and my husband filed for divorce but I don't seem to care because it changed my life!" category.

Finally, the parental rating... I think it's between a G and a PG rating. I'd probably let my son read it (and he'll be 11 in June), but I'm going to wait to recommend it to kids until I finish the 2nd book in the series to make sure it follows in the same manner.

1 comments:

Blackberry Bratt said...

Cool Steph, I will check it out!