Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Host

"Science Fiction for those who don't like Science Fiction." (from Stephenie Meyer.com)


I'll buy that. I'm not much of a science fiction reader, though I do count Ender's Game among one of my favorite books. I am surrounded my SciFi readers so I know a bit about it and I think this actually falls more into the Chick-SciFi category. I'm not sure my husband would enjoy it. Maybe he would - I think I might give it to him and see.
Anyway.
If you liked her Twilight series, you are probably going to give this a whirl. If Twilight was too heavy on the teenage angst - this is much less "angsty" and way more mature in nature. She does a very good job of involving you in the minds of two very strong, very "thinking" women who are emotionally invested in a difficult situation. The male characters are good - not terribly fleshed out, but I think that's ok. We didn't need another Edward quite frankly. The other characters are very background, but I think we'll see more of them in further books. This book is about Wanderer and Melanie.

The first 100 or so pages do tend to drag, but she's doing some necessary set-up. If you are from Southern Arizona, or have driven through there - this book will be sort of a kick for you to read. Familiarity with Picacho Peak area will make some of the dragging parts more interesting. I was in charge of a book club where we debated doing Twilight but ended up deciding against it because there just wasn't much to say other than "ohh, he's so dreamy" but in this book there would be a whole lot more to talk about. There's substance here and actual issues involving moral dilemmas and the like. I'd love to do this one for a book club.

Very interesting premise. I think it's worth the read. I'm convinced that Stephenie Meyer is not a one-trick pony. I'm also impressed that she kept it squeaky clean while not making it goody-goody. Clearly there was something cooking between the main characters but it was all between the lines. Good for her for not sinking to the levels I'm sure her editors wanted.

4 Stars (would have liked some places tightened up a little and some characters fleshed out a little more)

PG (some violence, and minor innuendo but it's pretty darn clean)

6 comments:

Allison said...

I really didn't care for this book. I'm still kind of shocked. The day it came out I rushed to get it and REALLY tried to give it a chance. But I never could get into it. It reminded me of The Matrix/Total Recall. I am so sad but I still have breaking Dawn to look forward to :)

Rochelle said...

Hmm..I am very nervous to pick this book up, I don't see myself being into this book but yet I said that about Vampires...

Arah Debra said...

I'm nervous too! I have it, but I can't bring myself to open it.

Unknown said...

I am reading it right now. it is kinda weird. Maybe as I get into it I will like it better.

Lisa Brown said...

Here is my review:

I really did enjoy this book, and the story was very creative. The reason I didn't give it a higher rating, was because it never really grabbed me, making me want to keep reading. It also seemed to drag at points and was unnecisarily long. But, hey, like I said before, I did really like the story, especially how it was resolved. And yes, at one point in the story, I even cried. I give it 3 stars and a PG rating.

amy16 said...

It was definately slow going at first, but it picks up. It kept me wanting more, which is how I judge a good book. It was no Twilight (but what is), but it was a good read in it's own right. My favorite character was Ian which I never saw coming, but looking back I liked him from the first encounter. Does any one see a correlation between the Souls and her LDS views?