Monday, October 6, 2008

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I ordered this book because Stephenie Meyer Highly recommended it saying she could not put it down. She was right. Of course it took a little while to get into the characters, but then I could not stop reading. It is a futuristic story about a 16 year old girl named Katnis. There are 12 states basically in the country called Districts and every year the government holds what is called the Hunger games. Every District has every boy and girl between the ages of 12 and 18 enter their names into a drawing to see who will compete in the hunger games. The games are a reality tv show of the kids fighting each other to the death in a designated area. Did I mention the government is really sick and evil? They are! anyways I loved the main characters and I would recommend this book. I would give it 3.5 stars and a pg 13 rating for violence. I would not have heard this description and said, " wow, that sounds like my kinda book!" but because good ole Steph recommended it, I read it.

Alright, I admit I am no computer genius in fact I think I would not be considered a genius ever, what is the trick to posting the picture of the book? Autamn, Amy, Rochell, ANy body?

1 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

I would give this book a higher rating of at least 4.5 or even a 5. I must admitt that the premise of the story made me a little nervous, a story that takes place in North America in the future, after the collapse of our society due to war. The "Capitol" rules the 12 surrounding districts, which are forced to participate in a yearly "Hunger Games" as a punishment for rebelling years earlier. Each district has to send one boy and one girl every year to engage in a fight to the death with only one winner.

I found that the story was so well told, that even though it was full of terrible violence and mistreatment, it came off as a triumph over evil. I read it in 2 days, and would have done it in one if I hadn't forced myself to go to sleep, it was a page turner for sure. It does leave you hanging at the end, which I hate, but I loved the two main characters so much, I am anxious to follow their story in the sequel.