
This book reaffirmed my belief that ALL Oprah book club books are inherently dark and depressing. This book is the story of a father and son struggling to survive in a post apocalyptic America. Things are bad, REALLY BAD. This is a very bleak portrayal of what "could be". McCarthy is a skilled writer who makes you feel how desolate and devoid of hope their existence is. You care about these characters, and SO want them to survive. You find yourself excited about every scrap of food and potential good luck that they come across. I must warn you that this book is definitely not for everyone. It is very dark and gritty. There are unthinkable, horrific things that people in this book do to survive. Things that will keep you up at night, because you can't get the horrible images out of your head. There is also goodness and love in this story. It made me really think about what our world would actually become like following such a destructive event, and what lengths I as a parent would go to keep my children alive. I would give this book 4 stars, and an adult only rating.
***I forgot to add that this book made me feel like going to buy case after case of canned food, and a gun!
Monday, February 2, 2009
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
Posted by
Michelle
at
3:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I read this book and felt the same way. My husband also read this. We didn't have a gun in the house at the time...now we have 3. But if it get you to get some food storage and supplies I guess thats good too.
Dang I can't help but giggle at your comment on needing a gun and food storage.
I can't decide if it's a must read or one I should skip. Maybe I should make sure I have a really silly read to delve into immediatly following this book.
It also sounds like it could be a great book to discuss at book club.
I'm glad to see you post! Thanks!
Great review of this book. This author and book is amazing!
Post a Comment