The quick synopsis: 5 women meet in a neighborhood park in the late 1960's in Palo Alto, California. It's not too long before they begin meeting weekly (on wednesdays), they watch the Miss America pageant together every year, and soon form a writing society. Over the years they become a loyal, supportive, tell-you-how-it-is, be-there-when-you-fall group of women . . . . friends.
What I love about this book:
*They push (sometimes demand), inspire, and give each other permission to reach for their dreams.
*All 5 are very different women, from different backgrounds, facing different life challenges.
*The story is interwoven with the history of the time. It's not in your face, but it does make their lives, their experiences seem more real.
*I love how their friendship solidifies over time . . . bit by bit they let each other into their lives, revealing pieces of their pasts', peeling back the layers, gaining & losing trust & gaining it again, being there for each other in big ways and small ways, . . . .
*It reminded me of my friends and what a powerful force other women in our lives can be.
I recommend this book, and then go share it with the women in your life.
4 stars
PG-13 (brief sexual scenes)





1 comments:
Shannon, thanks for this review. I put this up for Octobers book of the month.
Post a Comment