Thursday, March 20, 2008

Austenland


This book is my new best friend. It kept me company during a loooong day in the airport. It had me smiling, laughing, dreaming, and excited to turn every page.
Basically it's about this Jane Austen-crazed woman named "Jane". Her obsession with the books and particularly the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice (starring Colin Firth) is interferring with her real life -- perspectives on dating and how she looks at men. No one could possibly measure up to Mr. Darcy. (I've never seen the BBC P&P, and now I'm really feeling like I have to).
She finds herself at an "vacation resort" of sorts in England that caters to other Austen fans like herself. They dress in empire gowns, perform all the etiquette of the day, stroll through the gardens, and attend a ball. She is also surrounded by actors who ensure the guests are immersed in this Regency life -- 24/7. There's a lot of flirting going on, and she knows this is just a game. Her ultimate goal is to kick her Jane Austen obsession for good. But she just has to wonder in the back of her head if she'll come out of this with a real Mr. Darcy of her own.
I give it 5 stars. PG rating. A fun, light-hearted, entertaining read!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds like a fun book. I may have to borrow it.

Allison said...

This sounds great! It's on my list now :)

melandriley said...

I love all of Shannon Hale's books except this one. I just thought it was a little too corny.

Meagan said...

Sounds hilarious. You have to see the BBC version of P&P - so great ;)

Blackberry Bratt said...

I agree with Melanie, it was a little corny, but I still enjoyed parts of it and I'm sure it was great fun writing the book that let her sink a little further into the "Darcy" fantasy! My favorite parts were actually the dedication and the end notes...great sense of humor!

Rochelle said...

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun light read, silly and corny but really enjoyed her little fairy tale!