Friday, April 18, 2008

The Thirteenth Tale


I just finished The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. I don't exactly know what I was expecting with this book, but it intrigued me from the start. A rather dark, and at times creepy, tale about a very famous and private author who finally decides to tell her life story. Although there were some disturbing parts of the story, I was drawn in, and just like the biographer who has been hired to write the story, I found myself so excited to learn more of Vida Winter's mysterious past. And just as you are drawn into Miss Winter's tale, you are also captured by the history of Lea, the biographer. There seemed to be surprises around every corner as the family's closets of skeletons were revealed one by one. I was not at all disappointed, and really enjoyed the book, especially because, however dark the story itself was, the ending was perfect.


I give it a PG-13 rating and 4 stars.

2 comments:

Arah Debra said...

I loved this book too. It sucks you right in. A little dark and disturbing in parts, but worth it.

Bonnie said...

I just finished this book. I totally agree with you. I almost stopped reading it around the intro of the "dark and disturbing parts," but I was drawn in to find out the truth. Did anyone catch on to what Margaret Lea had concluded about Ms. Winters at the end (on the train ride back to her house)?? I had no idea! I thought it ended just right, too.