Friday, April 15, 2011

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass & What Alice Found There, by Lewis Carroll


The story of Alice and her adventures in a magical world called "Wonderland." She goes there by mistake after chasing a curious white rabbit, and soon finds herself in a land where she will grow or shrink anytime she eats anything, where animals talk, and where there is a queen who is keen on having people sentenced to death by beheading.

I had been wanting to read this classic for a while, and although it was beautifully written, I realized that I have never particularly liked this story. I must say that the book is better than the Disney cartoon though :).  I give it 3 stars and a PG rating.
 
 
Just like the first book, this was creative and beautifully written. Another adventure for Alice, this time she wills her way into the other side of the looking glass.


Soon she finds herself on what is a giant chessboard, and has to work very hard to move through the "squares" until she can become a queen. She has very strange adventures along the way, including a meeting with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I really have never been a fan of Alice, and the stories really creeped me out as a child, and so I guess that carried over when I read the books. Oh well.  I also give it 3 stars and a PG rating.

0 comments: