The story of Kelpie, a 16 year old girl raised as a gypsy by a witch in the highlands of Scotland in the 1600's. Used to a life of beatings, little food, no shelter, and no affection at all, just o have the chance to learn to be a witch herself. Kelpie is thrown off balance when Mina, her grandma witch, wants her to stay with a good Scottish family. She finds herself opening her heart to this family, but things go terribly wrong, and this is just the beginning of Kelpie's journey.
For me this book was the whole package. I felt as if it was unique, in that it truly felt like it was written in Scotland in the 1600's. The language and history flowed through it, and so it felt natural and believable. I also loved Kelpie, the main character. I loved watching her journey, both physically and emotionally, and how she was caught off guard by the softening in her heart - seemingly the last to know that she had learned to love. I give it 4.5 stars and a PG rating.
*I think this book may be out of print. I found it through a used book store, and I was happy I took the effort to find it.
Friday, April 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment