Friday, April 15, 2011

The Dragonfly Pool, by Eva Ibbotson


A sweet children's/YA book about a girl named Tallie, who is living in England at the start of World War II. She is offered a scholarship to go away to a progressive boarding school, and although she doesn't want to leave behind her family and friends, she goes. It doesn't take her long to realize that this school is different, and she finds herself very much at home.

The real story starts when the children are invited to participate in a folk dance festival in a small country in Europe. While there, Tallie meets the crown prince, and when tragedy strikes, the children pull together to try and defeat a Nazi plot against him.

I love how the heroine in Ibbotson's books are truly good and kind. Tallie was no different, and she was brave and determined as well. I think the historical aspect of it was a nice introduction into how the war affected children. It wasn't too graphic, but it showed how it changed their lives.  I give it 4.5 stars and a PG rating.

0 comments: