I am still surprised that I never read this as a child. I still remember having a small pink copy of the book on my shelf, by as to why I never picked it up, I don't know. Especially because it was fantastic. I truly loved this book! The story of the four March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy, and the struggles and joys of growing up. It begins during the Civil War, while their father is away, but takes the girls through many years. As the book explores each girl and her dreams, her realtionship with her sisters and her parents, and the realizing of some of those dreams, it paints a beautiful picture of life and the characters become real.
One of the big parts of the book is the interaction the family has with their neighbors, the Laurences, especially the grandson, Laurie. But one of my favorite parts of the book was the relationship the girls had with their parents, particularly their mother. Her wise advice to them over the years, and her willingness to let them make mistakes, showed a tremendous amount of love.
I truly fell in love with the family and with their stories, heartaches, and triumphs. If you have never read this, I suggest you do. I give it 5 stars and a PG rating.




0 comments:
Post a Comment