
I just finished a wonderful book entitled "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. This is a touching story about a young German girl growing up in Nazi Germany, and all of the hardships, and also joys that she is able to find in a very bleak situation. This would be a good companion book to "The Diary of Anne Frank" as it tells of what life was like for children who weren't Jewish during that time period. One of the interesting twists in this book is that it is told from the perspective of "Death" which saw many horrible things during the war years, and yet managed to be touched by the life of the main character, Liesel. This is technically a young adult novel, but I kind of question that classification. There is a minor amount of foul language in the book, but most of it is in German(although they explain at the beginning what those words mean in English.) I would give this book 4 stars.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
The Book Thief
Posted by
Michelle
at
3:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I'm excited to see a comment on this particular book! I am going to read this book this month for a book club that I belong to. I was kind of nervous about it and am glad to see a good review!! I post again later after I finish it.
Ironic...my book group also chose this book to read for one of our choices this year. I have heard fabulous things about it and now I'm looking forward to it even more! Thanks!
I finished this book. I actually liked it, minus the bad language. For some reason, the foreign bad language sticks in my head. Maybe it's because I think I'm not really thinking bad words... Overall, a new outlook during the Holocaust by an interesting viewpoint.
I would give this book 5 stars. It is wonderful and powerful and the narration makes it very fun to read.
When I first began this book, I really wasn't sure what to think of it. You see, it is narrated by Death, which is very creative, but also took me a little getting used to. It is the story of Liesel, the book thief, and her life and struggles during WWII. Although I found it choppy at times (Death liked to jump around in the story quite a bit), I really loved the story it told. The author did an especially wonderful job of creating real and significant relations, my favorite being the relationship between Liesel and her "Papa" - a foster father that truly loved her as his own. Very well done.
Post a Comment