Monday, February 25, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha

I watched this movie years ago yet just read the book last week. I am always intrigued by cultural differences the thoughts, beliefs and habits.

My grandmother is Japanese and was sold as a child, not as a Geisha but never the less sold. This book touched me and was another reminder of how lucky I am, especially seeing some of this so close to my family.

The author takes you through the life a young girl who is sold and raised to work as a Geisha. You will read of her time with her family and the pain of being sold, hating her life to excepting it and through it all the details of a Geisha.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars and a PG 13 rating.

2 comments:

Tam said...

I love this book and of course it is way better to read the book than to watch the MOVIE. I read this book years ago when it first was released and then it gained tons of momentum two more times..one when Ophra picked it as part of her book club and then the 2nd time when it became a movie.

Stephanie said...

***Spoiler Alert!!!****
I did like the book, but I thought it was sad that she didn't get the perfect ending. I think I'd be happy if everyone could get their happily ever after and just felt that this wasn't my idea of one. I felt it had potential for a great love triumphs over adversity and then it got squashed a bit when I find out he was married and she was satified being his mistress, what a let down, at least for me, anyway.