The Memory Keepers Daughter by, Kim Edwards.
I just finished this book. This book is kind of a haunting tale of a two families intertwined by the choice one man made. After being unable to get his wife to the hospital a doctor delivers his twins, a healthy boy and a Down syndrome daughter. In his own rationale he makes a split-second decision to give his daughter to the woman who helped deliver her. She raises his daughter in another town and fights for change and acceptance of Downs Syndrome children , while he lives a life of regret, sorrow, compassion and redemption.
I was amazed to see how far the world has come when dealing and caring for the mentally handicapped. This moving novel is a perfect example of some of the irrational behaviors and thoughts once commonly shared, and how years ago a child of this nature might have been portrayed.
Parental rating is PG. I'm unable to give it a star rating, it is so good yet a little bit of a downer yet gripping.
Monday, February 11, 2008
Memory Keepers Daughter
Posted by
Rochelle
at
8:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
i read this book, too! i agree that it was a good book, but sad at the same time! it illustrates perfectly how important it is to be honest with our spouse because his split second decision defined their marriage. i can't imagine keeping a secret like that from my husband! it would tear me apart!
it was a good read!
Loved this book! For some reason it won't let me email to join, I would like to join so let me know what I need to do ;)
I thought that this book was very sad. I got it for Christmas and it left me depressed and sad. I don't know how a father could be sooooo mean.
I enjoyed this enough to finish it, but I can't say it's in my top 5 for the year. It is depressing in a lot of ways. The author takes her time getting to the point. I loved the beginning and end....the middle not so much.
Post a Comment