Sunday, February 10, 2008





I just finished Catcher in the Rye and really liked it. What I liked most was how the writing flowed. I also enjoyed the in depth characterization of the main character. I can see why this is considered a classic. I can also see why some people don't care for it. There is a lot of swearing in this book, I mean a lot of swearing. But it didn't bother me in this context. It was part of the character and he wasn't a jerk or anything, it was just how he and those around him spoke. I would like to know though what others thought about the ending?

I give this book 4 stars.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

I laughed out loud at this book. I was however disappointed that kids in High School have to read it. The language is not the best. This kid just did the darndest and most random things that just cracked me up.

The ending really wasn't much. It just seemed like, okay the day is over, The End. There was no solutions to his inablilites to stay in school or accomplish things.

Lorna said...

It's been awhile since I read this book but I loved it. I think I loved it more because it left me thinking for along time afterward. The ending seemed anticlimactic-I agree, but I think for me, in retrospect, that was one of the ingredients to the book that was most thought provoking, albeit frustrating.

I think that drop-of, unresolved ending makes your mind wander further into his life and it makes you wonder what these intracacies of Holden's every day life, that J.D Salinger describes in such vivid detail, will result in down the road. And also, just what will his next day be like because Salinger makes this kid's ordinary life so interesting.