Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Kite Runner

****
Yesterday I read The Kite Runner. This book is a beautifully written portrayal of modern day Afghanistan. Some friends of ours, Amir, Amena, Abou and Basil were from Afghanistan, we met them right around 9.11. We learned so much from them, they really helped us understand the Sunnis and the Shias and the battle that rages between them. This book was probably a pretty accurate picture of Afghans 30 years ago and the changes that brought them through today and all the while embedded with a riveting storyline.
I give this book a 5 star, that's hard to give away maybe 4 1/2 stars, no 5. It had a handful of curse words. I'm going to give it a PG 13 rating.

4 comments:

Shannon b said...

I agree that it was a very good book. It was really fascinating to learn so much about Afghanistan. The whole time I read it in the back of my mind I was thinking, "this would make a really great movie." And sure enough, they made it into a movie! I haven't seen it yet, but it's in my Netflix queue.

Somewhere down the line I'd like to reason "A Thousand Splendid Suns" -- it's more about the women in Afghanistan. I bet there is MUCH to be learned there.

mahina said...

i really loved this book! there were some difficult parts to read through. i highly recommend it! i too, want to read a thousand splendid suns.

Jodi said...

I just finished yesterday and thought it was amazing. There were some terribly sad moments that were difficult for me to get through but I think it is a "Must Read".

amy16 said...

I can see this being a required reading for high schoolers. It makes the not too distant history come to life. It was dark and upsetting at times, but it is a story that has to be told. It's too easy to believe that people don't live like this, when in fact many do.

I would definately recommend this.